Go to the U of M home page

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

MLK Spotlight - Xiaolu: Creating art and telling stories through HECUA

Xiaolu is a junior majoring in Studies in Cinema and Media Culture. Last year, she was part of the HECUA City Arts Program (now known as Art for Social Change), which explores the role of artists in the social change movement and the engagement of art in our communities. She is interested in editing short videos and making promo videos for different organizations, and she recently found her passion in animation which expands the magic of film for her. Read about Xiaolu's experience with HECUA below, and check out the videos she created as part of her program. This post is part of the MLK Spotlight, a regular feature on our blog. The goal is to highlight MLK student (or staff) stories, experiences, and perspectives. Have something you'd like to share? Send an email to mlkdesk@umn.edu, or ask your adviser!

Often times, I doubt my ability to make films and to become an artist that tells inspiring stories. On a daily basis, I struggle to find the connection between my college education and the real world. But HECUA made all of it work. A small-seminar style class created an incredible support that each of us needed, and through the four months of engaging, creating and critiquing what we learned, I walked away from the experience with more humbleness for learning. Everyone is a teacher and everyone is a learner in the HECUA community, the perspectives we trade push us to be tolerant of each other's differences, but intolerant of social injustice. I don't necessarily think that I created 'better' art during HECUA, but I really appreciate the fact that I had time to make art, thus living a expressive life. It is the 'art of making' rejuvenates my energy to explore what is it that I want out of my education.



No comments:

Post a Comment